Herb Silber’s career in litigation has focussed largely on real estate litigation, lease arbitration and employment law. He co-counseled one of the largest commercial fraud cases in Canadian history, which included precedent-setting decisions on directors’ liability. Herb’s securities and corporate litigation experience includes shareholder oppression actions, proxy fights and fraud claims. His successes in this area have resulted in decisions that have influenced corporate law and damage recovery principles. Herb’s employment law practice includes appearances as counsel in many wrongful dismissal trials and appeals, negotiations for severance packages and advising on group terminations. Herb has regularly appeared in both the Supreme Court of British Columbia and the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
Herb has increasingly taken on the role of arbitrator and mediator in commercial disputes and as counsel in the British Columbia Court of Appeal. He is also a graduate of an intense five-day mediation workshop organized by the Harvard University School of Negotiation.
Since 2012, Herb has been a member of the BC Health Professions Review Board, appointed by the Province of B.C. The Review Board is an Administrative Tribunal established to provide independent reviews of certain decisions of self-governing colleges. Herb is also a member of the Board of Governors of the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT). He is Chair of the Board’s Governance Committee and a member of the Audit and Finance Committee. In 2014, on the recommendation of the Justice Minister for the Government of British Columbia, Herb was appointed Queen’s Counsel in recognition of his distinguished legal career.
Herb served for many years as Honourary Legal Counsel for Canadian Jewish Congress, Pacific Region and in other executive capacities with this organization. He is past president of the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver and was named its man of the year in 2008. Herb has been active in other Community Organizations as well during his career.
Herb and his wife, Barbara have three grown children, Michael, Arin ( AJ) and Tara.
- Martindale Peer Review Rating BV Distinguished
- Honourary Counsel, Canadian Jewish Congress, Pacific Region
- Officer, member, National Executive, Canadian Jewish Congress, Pacific Region
- President, Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver
- Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver’s Man of the Year, June 2008
- Director, Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver
- President, Schara Tzedeck Synagogue.
- Member of the Health Professions Review Board
- Member, Board of Governors of British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
- Queen’s Counsel
- Ontario, 1974
- British Columbia, 1975
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, LLB
- University of British Columbia, BA