The KORNFELD LLP website is provided for informational purposes only and should not be conveyed as specific legal advice on any subject matter. You should contact your lawyer to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this website does not create a solicitor-client relationship, nor will any information you submit to us via this site be treated as confidential or privileged.
KORNFELD LLP offers and provides legal services and information to a wide range of clients. We collect, use and disclose personal information as necessary to offer and provide clients and potential clients with these legal services and information and generally to fulfill our professional legal responsibilities and manage our business. As lawyers, we have a professional obligation to keep confidential all information we obtain within a lawyer-client relationship.
KORNFELD LLP is committed to respecting the privacy of individuals and recognizes the need of people with whom we do business for the appropriate management and protection of any personal information that you agree to provide to us.
In some cases, We may disclose the personal information we collect about clients or other individuals we deal with to third parties, including:
- where the legal services we are providing to you require us to give your personal information to third parties, such as a lender in a real estate mortgage transaction;
- where we are required or authorized by law to do so, for example where the rules of court require us to provide personal information to the opposite side and the court in a litigation matter or where a court issues a subpoena or order;
- where we engage an expert or consultant on your behalf in a litigation matter;
- where we retain another law firm or agent to act or assist us in acting on your behalf;
- where it is necessary to collect fees, for instance to a financial institution or collection agent;
- to regulatory (including self-regulatory) or governmental authorities, for example, disclosure of personal information reasonably requested or required by governing bodies of the legal profession in the course of its oversight of our practice;
- where you have instructed us to disclose your personal information to a third party for a designated purpose;
- where we reasonably believe a third party requesting your information is your agent; and
- where you consent or as permitted or required by law.
KORNFELD LLP may also transfer your personal information to our service providers hired to administer or provide products, services or information on our behalf. We use reasonable measures to require the organizations with whom we share your personal information for these purposes to use your personal information only to perform the services we have hired them to provide. Note that some of the service providers that process or handle personal information on our behalf are located outside of Canada. As a result, your personal information may be transferred, stored and/or processed outside Canada in connection with the purposes described in this privacy statement. Contractual or other measures we may use to protect your personal information are subject to the legal requirements of the foreign jurisdictions where your personal information may be transferred, stored or processed, for example lawful requirements to disclose information to government authorities in those countries.
KORNFELD LLP will collect, use and disclose your personal information with your consent or as permitted or required by law. Your consent may be express or implied, depending on the circumstances and the sensitivity of the personal information in question. For example, in most cases, a client’s consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information by KORNFELD LLP may be implied by the fact that the client has engaged us to provide legal services, where the collection, use and disclosure of personal information relates to the performance of those services. If you provide personal information about another person to us, we assume you have the consent of that individual to enable us to collect, use or disclose their information as described in this policy. If you choose to provide personal information to us, we assume that you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information as outlined in this privacy statement.