Shafik was born in Tanzania. He was a partner of Kornfeld LLP from 2000 to May, 2016. He is continuing as legal counsel with Kornfeld LLP and is a Professor of Practice and an Academic Director with Simon Fraser University’s Beedie School of Business.
In his legal practice, Shafik focuses on corporate commercial litigation (multiparty commercial/corporate and securities cases), general civil litigation (prosecution and defense of personal injury, fire and casualty claims, breaches of sale of goods, and real estate contracts and negligence claims against insurance and real estate companies, agents and brokers) and labour and employment law (grievances, collective bargaining, certification applications and employment terminations). Certified in mediation, he counsels in commercial, insurance, labour and employment disputes.
Shafik appears before the Labour Relations Board in certification applications and unfair labour practice complaints and before the Supreme Court of British Columbia on wrongful dismissal matters. He has lectured on non-competition contract covenants, presented for the Continuing Legal Education Society and the Vancouver Board of Trade, among others, and authored several academic articles.
- Professor of Practice and Academic Director with the Beedie School of Business, Simon Fraser University
- Member of the West Vancouver Police Board
- Lecturer and presenter, Continuing Legal Education Society
- Lecturer and presenter, Vancouver Board of Trade
- Past Member, Judicial Advisory Committee
- Past Member, Vancouver Police Department’s Diversity Advisory Committee
- Past Member, Conciliation and Arbitration Board of the Ismailia Community
- Past Legal officer, pro bono legal advice program of the Salvation Army
- British Columbia, 1990
- Bhalloo, Shafik and Kathleen Burke (2016), “Risky Returns at Zoie B’s Apparel”, Journal of Business Ethics Education. Vol. 12
- Bhalloo, Shafik and Alisha Parmar (2016), “Restrictive Covenants: When the Honeymoon Ends”, Alberta Law Review. 53(3): 643
- Bhalloo, Shafik and Kathleen Burke (2016), “The Great Canadian Mortgage Company”, Journal of Business Ethics Education. Vol. 12: 185-188
- Bhalloo, Shafik and Alisha Parmar (2016), “Bhasin v. Hrynew: Ramifications in Employment law”, The Advocate (Vancouver) 74(2): 185-196
- Bhalloo, Shafik and Alisha Parmar (2015) “Creative Non-Competition Clauses as Restraints of Trade: Rhebergen v. Veterinary Clinic Ltd.”, The Advocate (Vancouver) Vol. 73: 183
- “Section 96 of the Employment Standards Act: Balancing Competing Interests” 72 The Advocate 855 (November 2014)
- “Everything you always wanted to know about suspending an employment standards determination (but were too afraid to ask)” 72 The Advocate 205 (March 2014)
- “Reinstatement: The quintessential “make whole” remedy or a fiction?” 70 The Advocate 845 (November 2012)
- “Employers beware: The myth of temporary layoff may result in a wrongful dismissal liability,” The Advocate, January 2011 (with Gareth Carline).
- “Enforcement of Benefits Under The Employment Standards Act: A Single Jurisdiction for Enforcement Affirmed,” U.B.C. Law Review, September 2010.
- “Removing, adding or substituting a party after judgment or a final order: Can it be done, and when?” The Advocate, March 2007.
- “Notice extension for bad faith dismissal: ‘a remedy divorced from the wrong,’” The Verdict, October 2006.
- “Bad faith damages in wrongful dismissal cases: Post Wallace jurisprudence,” The Advocate, May 2006.
- “Jurisdictional Issues in Electronic Commerce: A Canadian Perspective,” The Computer Law Review and Technology Journal, Winter 2004.
- “The curative provision in Section 43(6) of the Personal Property Security Act: How misleading is a ‘seriously misleading’ error?” The Advocate, May 2004
“Employment Contracts: Enforcing Non-Competition,” The Advocate, November 1995
- Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, LLM, with a focus on e-Business
- Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia, LLB
- Simon Fraser University, BA with Honours